The concept of a parallel economy has been around for many, many years.
Orthodox Jewish communities in New York and other cities across the Earth have operated such closed communities and parallel economies for nearly 2500 years. The Amish of Lancaster, PA and other rural location in the USA have done the same for 200 years.
Evangelical Christians in the United States have spoken of trying to develop one nationwide for at least the past 20 years.
But HERE, in this passage, revealed to us is the REAL ECONOMY, and it is absolutely unparalleled. An economy introduced by Isaiah and put on display by Messiah throughout his ministry. An economy made for BEGGARS.
To gain entrance into this economy, one need only:
- Recognize that the presumed sustenance that the world offers WILL NEVER satisfy - this is proven by the fact that our real, innate hungers and thirst are NEVER quenched. Messiah exposes this fact openly in John 4.
- Accept that the presumed system that the world offers has NO LASTING VALUE - one gives up and trades his/her silver and gold for that which will never sate the real appetite. The world needs only convince you that it offers what you WANT, it cares nothing of what you NEED.
- Redirect your attention to the ONE making the offer, and you will find 'richness' and satisfaction beyond all imaginings.
Isaiah 55:3, 6-7
To fully enjoy this economy, one needs to:
- Listen - This has now TWICE been commanded or at least enjoined. So the promise comes through hearing.
- Life (as opposed to death) is the byproduct.
- Know that this covenant is being extended to you. It is not yours to MAKE, but to RECEIVE. You are being invited into the covenant made with David.
- Respond to what is being offered, and: